Ulleungdo should be part of any South Korea Itinerary, to learn why and get a glimpse of this Korean paradise make sure to read this ultimate guide to Ulleungdo Island with downloadable pdf guide. Due to the potential difficulty of reaching this South Korean island your time might be limited so having a clear travel plan is essential! In this guide I will set out a variety of different self-guided tours to get the most out of your visit to Ulleungdo.
These itineraries suggest what activities are best done together and should be read in conjunction with the guide linked above. If you have several days then mix and match to your hearts content and maybe spend a few days at the many beaches on Ulleungdo. This post is to help if your time is limited and you want to get the best adventures and see the most beautiful sights with your short time on the island.
Finally, this guide is written assuming that you will be using the local buses. Download the Ulleungdo island App that I talk about in this post on Ulleungdo hacks. Checking the bus times is essential to a smooth trip. You can be stranded for 50 minutes between buses if you don’t!
Ulleungdo Korea Itinerary – Half day island tours
These tours cover what you can easily see in a half day. These tours are ideal if you are only staying on Ulleungdo for 1 night. You can fit them in directly after arrival and just before you leave.
Welcome to Ulleungdo – Korea Itinerary
- Dodong Cable Car to Dokdo viewing platform and Dokdo Museum
- Yaksu (Mineral Spring) Park
- Buddhist Temple
- Dodong Sea Walkway to Haengnam and Dodong Forest Walk
Explore East Ulleungdo – Korea Itinerary
- Naesujeon sunrise viewing platform (The bus does not go here)
- Mongdol Beach
- Bongnae Waterfall and air cave
- Candle Rock
- Jeodong Sea Walkway
Travel around Taeha – Korea Itinerary
- Taeha monorail and viewpoint over the Buk-Myeon coastline. This coastline view is considered a ‘view pilgrimage’ in South Korea and should definitely be part of your Korea Itinerary!
- Taeha sea walkway
- Seongha Temple
- Painted Streets
- Sea and Land Museum
Ulleungdo Korea Itinerary – Sea road bus detours
The bus ride from Dodong to Cheonbu takes just over an hour, which really isn’t long when you consider how amazingly beautiful the scenery is. There are 3 main stops along the way that I would suggest you consider taking a little detour for. You will need to wait roughly 50 minutes for the next bus to pick you up but that gives you a little time to explore.
- Ulleung Botanical Gardens (Sadong)
- Turtle Rock and Tonggumi Beach
- Sculpture Garden (Hyeonpo) and Elephant Rock
Ulleungdo Korea Itinerary – Whole day island tours
These tours will help you get the most out of your whole day on Ulleungdo. You can easily combine 2 of the half day tours for a full day so I won’t repeat them in this section.
Navigate North Ulleungdo – Korea Itinerary
- Sea Road Bus Detours
- Gwaneumdo and Samseonam Rocks
- Nari Basin
- traditional houses
- Sillyeongsu (Mountain Spring) and forest walk
- Cheonbu Underwater Observatory
Climbing Central Ulleungdo – Korea Itinerary
- Hike up Seonginbong from Dodong (South) and continue over to Nari Basin (3-4 hours). If you time your hike correctly you can arrive in Nari Basin in Time for lunch and still visit the underwater observatory and Gwaneumdo.
Day of sun and fun at Ulleungdo’s Beaches – Korea Itinerary
- Swimming on Ulleungdo is just fantastic. Beautifully clear water at a great temperature in summer. There are so many beaches to choose from and I would really suggest reading this post on the swimming places on Ulleungdo. You can easily spend an entire day at the places and Hakpo beach has a convenient snack shop right by the ocean.
Epic Adventure Itinerary – See the whole of Ulleungdo Island in a day!
I saved this for last, because of all the tours in this Ulleungdo Korea Itinerary post, this one takes the most determination to manage. If you are really pushed for time but want to experience as much of Ulleungdo as you can then this epic adventure is for you. You will see almost everything the island has to offer and travel around the entire circumference.
Just a note though, this is a tough itinerary and you will be pretty exhausted by the end of it! I didn’t manage the last few sights but I had done some pretty hard travelling in the days just before.
What to pack for your epic day out
A packed breakfast, water, snacks, mask and snorkel, sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes, swimming costume and extra batteries for your camera!
So now you’re packed and ready, here goes:
Your Epic Adventure Ulleungdo Island Korea Itinerary:
- 07:00 bus from Dodong to Sadong Botanical Gardens (15 minutes)
- Watch the morning sun over Sadong ferry terminal while you eat a packed breakfast. Get beautiful Instagram shots to show off your visit to Ulleungdo.
- 08:05 bus from Sadong to Tonggumi (5 minutes)
- Wander around Turtle Rock and take a swim at Tonggumi beach. Take a selfie with the Dokdo Seal statues
- 08:50 bus from Tonggumi to Hakpo (20 minutes)
- Enjoy the beautiful beach at Hakpo. Take some great photos and swim in the clear water! Hakpo beach is part of my top 10 places to visit on Ulleungdo.
- 09:40 hike from Hakpo to Taeha (30 minutes)
- There is a beautiful (but quite unused) forest trail between Hakpo and Taeha. Follow the road out of Hakpo to the main island road and you will see a sign pointing to Taeha.
- Taeha sea and land museum (optional). This is great museum on the history of Ulleungdo but it really isn’t necessary to visit.
- Taeha monorail with one of the top 10 views in South Korea over the Buk-myeon coastline. (KRW 4,000 pp)
- Taeha sea walkway, one of the most scenic walks you can take on the island, definitely add it to your itinerary.
- 12:20 bus from Taeha to Hyeonpo (10 minutes)
- Stop for lunch at the Taeha Bancheom in Hyeonpo. It has the best Jjajang sauce on the island!
- Take a coffee break at the Ulleungdo Coffee Van and enjoy the great view over the Elephant Rock.
- Walk on to the Sculpture Garden, one of my 10 things to see on Ulleungdo (KRW 4,000 pp)
- 14:15 bus from the entrance to the sculpture garden to Cheonbu.
- 14:25 bus from Cheonbu to Gwaneumdo
- Enjoy the amazing views offered by Gwaneumdo and the suspension bridge connecting this tiny island to Ulleungdo (KRW 4,000 pp)
- 15:00 hike from Gwaneumdo to Seokpo (1 hour)
- Dokdo Volunteer Memorial (optional)
- An Yongbok Memorial (optional)
- Continue hiking to the Dullegil trail (1 hour)
- This gorgeous forest trail connects the North and East of Ulleungdo. There should soon be a tunnel between these parts but the hike has some stunning views!
- Naesujeon sunrise viewing platform, if you’re still feeling energetic go up to the viewing platform, you won’t see sunrise but there is still a great view.
- Mongdol beach, as you hike down into Naesujeon you will find Mongdol beach, a great place to cool off.
- 17:40 Bus from Naesujeon to Jeodong (10 minutes)
- Pick up a coffee around Jeodong harbour and enjoy the view of the Candle Rock while you wait for your next bus.
- 18:30 bus from Jeodong to Bongnae Waterfall (15 minutes)
- Bongnae waterfall is another top 10 place to visit on Ulleungdo. The walk to the falls takes you through more of Ulleungdo’s beautiful forests. Sunset is late in the Summer so you will not have a problem here!
- 19:35 bus from Bongnae to Dodong
- This is your final stop and your tour is nearly over! Use this guide to Dodong to find a place for dinner at one the great restaurants spread around the town.
- After dinner enjoy a romantic evening stroll along Dodong’s sea walkway. You will be able to see the lights of the squid boats fishing through the night.
- Well done, you’ve made it around the entire island and seen a hell of a lot along the way!
What you’ll miss on your epic adventure
Unfortunately there are a number of sights you will miss out doing this epic itinerary. The main points of interest that you will not make it to are, Nari Basin, Seonginbong, the underwater observatory in Cheonbu, the Dodong cable car and the Dokdo museum.
Despite missing out on these things you will still get the best views around the island and you can say you have truly experienced Ulleungdo.
Your Ulleungdo Korea Itinerary
I have written many thousands of words on this stunning Korean paradise hidden in the East Sea. You can pay to go on a guided tour but with all these resources you shouldn’t struggle to go on the most amazing self-guided tour of the island.
- The Ultimate English Guide to Ulleungdo
- Ulleungdo Travel Hacks
- Taeha and Hakpo
- The best snorkeling on Ulleungdo
- Taeha Monrail
If you have any great stories or ideas feel free to get in touch!
Happy travels and blue skies.
Liked it? Pin it!