Travelling is such a unique experience that it can be difficult to put into words. Which is why, I think, travel quotes are so much fun to read. We have the opportunity to go, ‘That’s it, that’s what I felt!’. Our favourite characters in books and movies are giving us the words that we want. Authors and scriptwriters are giving us those travel quotes, those couple adventure quotes and those quotes of discovery that can inspire us to travel more. We want to experience those feelings again.
MC Adventure Blog is based on our adventures as a couple so I have taken my top 5 couple adventure quotes and considered their meaning to our travel. But travel is such a huge experience that I couldn’t just stop at 5 so here are 30 of my all time favourite travel quotes dealing with couple adventures, the experience of travel, discovery and personal growth.
Couple Adventure Quote #1
Don’t Panic – Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
If you’re not nervous is it really an adventure? Of course it is! But any big adventure can come with lots of nerves and anxiety. Just planning a trip can be nerve-wracking which is why I have chosen this as my number 1 couple adventure quote.
On the cover of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the words ‘Don’t Panic’ are printed in large, red letters and this is advice to live by. Panic often makes a situation much worse and a simple solution can get lost. If you struggle with anxiety while travelling then make sure to read this post on travelling with anxiety.
I have found as I get older I am prone to be more anxious because I’m so much more aware of what can go wrong. I am no longer the invincible 22 year old who packed up everything in a backpack and spent nearly a year busking across Europe without any sort of plan apart from a return plane ticket. Travelling as a couple also means that you have to be aware of someone else’s needs and simply going with the cheapest options all the time is not necessarily okay anymore. If things go wrong you are now worried for someone else as well, double the anxiety! That’s why, every now and again, we need to be reminded, ‘Don’t Panic’.
Couple Adventure Quote #2
Spread your wings – Skydive Durban
If you’ve taken any big trips you will possibly be familiar with the conversations that start, ‘I wish I had taken the opportunity when I had it….’ As a couple Monique and I have often leapt at the chance of adventure which is why this couple adventure quote is from our old skydiving club in South Africa. In the first 6 months of our relationship we decided to take up skydiving together. Since then we have had many crazy adventures as a couple.
Our latest couple adventure was deciding to come to South Korea to teach English. Looking back the decision was a no-brainer but at the time it was very scary. We don’t want to look back and wish we had taken a chance when it was there. There is so much to experience and explore in this world that if the opportunity arises you can’t be afraid to ‘spread your wings’.
Couple Adventure Quote #3
Have been unavoidably detained by the world. Expect us when you see us. – Neil Gaiman, Stardust
What are your plans? How long will you go for? When will you settle down? The honest answer to all of these questions is that we don’t know. So much of life seems to have a time period attached to it; you have to have a plan once you’re out of university and follow it through to retirement. But that’s not true.
We have the luxury and privilege to go where opportunities take us and we don’t know where it will lead to next. It was really difficult to leave friends and family behind but the world is such an exciting and magical place. We only have a limited time to experience it so until we have sated our need as a couple for adventure, our couple adventure quote number 3 can only be, ‘Expect us when you see us.’
Couple Adventure Quote #4
It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to. – J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings
I have a distinct memory from university of walking along a road during golden hour, and there were no cars or people around. The sun was creating a glow just where the road dipped over a blind-rise and all I wanted to do was keep walking and see where it took me. It was then that I knew I wanted to just travel and follow the path wherever it leads, which is why I love this quote so much and have included it with these couple adventure quotes.
Travelling as a couple, or with a partner, means that you don’t just have one road that can sweep you off on an adventure. Suddenly you have double the number of ideas for where to travel, ideas that you may never have thought of by yourself. I have 2 excellent examples of this: several years ago we had a road trip through South Africa to visit the Owl House in Nieubethesda that I didn’t even know existed and last year we got to watch wild orangutans in the rain-forests of Borneo in a magical holiday that I wouldn’t have thought of without Monique. When travelling as a couple, if you are open to your partner’s ideas, you can find yourself swept off on amazing adventures that you will cherish forever.
Couple Adventure Quote #5
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. – Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
This quote ties in wonderfully with the previous couple adventure quote. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would be writing this post while sitting in a classroom on a tiny Korean island lost in the middle of the East Sea I probably would have just laughed. Now here I am. Last year we only vaguely knew the name Ulleungdo but when the opportunity came to teach on the island we both thought it would be an amazing experience. We were not disappointed. Since leaving South Africa we have relied quite a lot on luck with our choices and I think it has always taken us where we’ve needed to be.
We have decided to spread our wings once more and go where the the road decides to take us by making a move to Vietnam next year. It is the next chapter in our book of couple adventures and hopefully we will make more quotes of our own!
The essence of travel is making stories. If we had no stories to tell then travel wouldn’t be as fun as it is. The great thing about travelling with a partner is that you don’t have to wait until you are home to tell these stories to each other. So, as promised, here are 25 more travel quotes to hopefully inspire your adventures as a couple or even just your next big journey:
More Couple Adventure Quotes
- “Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.” – Antoine Desaint-Exupery
- “As soon as I saw you, I knew you would be an adventure of a lifetime.” – Winnie the Pooh
- “Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.” – Lewis Carroll
- “In life, it’s not where you go, it’s who you travel with.” – Charles Schulz
Travel Quotes on the Experience of Travel
- “A good traveller is one who knows how to travel with the mind.” – Michael Bassey Johnson, Master of Maxims
- “Live your life and forget your age.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.” – The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
- “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people” – Clifton Fadiman
- “Travel opens your heart, broadens your mind and fills your life with stories to tell.” – Paula Bendfeldt
- “Home is where the heart is, and my heart is wherever I am at the moment.” – Lily Leung
- “You develop a sympathy for all human beings when you travel a lot. “ – Shakuntala Devi
- “You don’t choose the day you enter the world and you don’t chose the day you leave. It’s what you do in between that makes all the difference.” – Anita Septimus
- “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James A. Michener
- “Some people live more in twenty years than others do in forty. It’s not the time, it’s the person” – Doctor Who
Travel Quotes on Discovery Through Travel
- “Whatever it is you’re seeking won’t come in the form you’re expecting.” – Haruki Marukami
- “You speak of destiny as if it was fixed.” – Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
- “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
- “Half the fun of the travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” – Ray Bradbury
- “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
Travel Quotes on Personal Growth and Home
- “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher Hershey
- “No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself. It’s like your shadow. It follows you everywhere.” – Haruki Murakami, After the Quake
- “I knew then that I wanted to go home, but I had no home to go to–and that is what adventures are all about.” – Trina Schart Hyman, Self Portrait
- “You haven’t really been anywhere until you’ve got back home.” – Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic
- “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving” – Terry Pratchett
To explain travel to someone who has not travelled is impossible. To explain the feeling of change and growth to your friends and family who haven’t travelled with you is equally as impossible. But to tell our travel stories and adventures is such a delight that we can do it for years. I hope these travel quotes and musings have inspired you to think about your next big adventure. Perhaps make some couple adventure quotes of your own!
Happy travels and blue skies!
Liked it? Pin it!